My home office makeover

After spending the better part of a year working remotely, I'm finally giving my home office a much needed upgrade.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ramblingpolymath.com/2021/01/my-home-office-makeover/

You wrote the post I’ve had in draft status for years. I never found the energy to finish it. I’ve got 25 of those types of started but never finished posts.

I know what you mean. I almost didn’t write this post. Who really wants to know how I upgraded my office. I only committed after I asked my family — most of which is working from home these days —if they’d find something like this useful.

I’ve always kept an unpublished post dubbed “editorial calendar” where I’ll keep a list of ideas and when I might get around to posting them. It’s a habit I picked up after years working in a newsroom. Some of those ideas I’ve started to write, but lost interest, and others I’ve yet to start.

Nearly a year ago I wrote an 800-some word post about emulating film. But I never finished it. I never got around to shooting the film and digital images side by side complete the analysis and explain the reasoning. I hope to finish it soon. It keeps staring back at me every time I visit my “editorial calendar.”

Thanks for reading as always Khurt!

Turns out I have 40 unfinished posts, most of which are film and camera experience reports. I’ve shot and developed the film to scans but just can’t seem to find the motivation to write.

What’s your method for getting “unstuck”?

That sounds like a great idea for a blog post. :sweat_smile:
The short answer is: Something is better than nothing. Peter McKinnon — a wildly successful photographer and vlogger — loves to say “Done is better than perfect.” It’s a philosophy I’ve practiced since the start of my career. That’s not to say you shouldn’t put the extra effort into finishing something, but also don’t chase perfection as it’s an unattainable goal. Perfection will always be just a few steps out of reach. At some point you have to say “It’s good enough.”

It can be tempting, for me especially, to put something off indefinitely because I don’t have the time or the spark to do it “right.” I often find myself asking, is this really not good enough, or am I chasing perfection.

I’m actually going to share Jamie Windsor’s video explaining this instead of one of McKinnon’s. That’s personally, because I feel that Windsor’s videos, while visually less interesting than McKinnon’s, do a better job of conveying the pertinent information.

As for the long answer: Now I’ve got something to write about! Thanks for the inspiration @khurtwilliams